06 May 2011

Thoughts on Cleaning Fans

My...I'm not an electrician...Fan safety rules
When cleaning a fan:
UNPLUG or turn off the breaker.
I don't trust the switch on ceiling fans.
Never get liquids near the motor (on or off)
Completely DRY fan removable blades & grate cover before putting the fan back together
No fans on when not at home
No kids near the fans



Fans accumulate dust and grime. Grime especially in a small area where the kitchen is open concept. Its best to follow manufacturers cleaning instructions.

Problem: Cleaning a fan isn't easy. If there is a fan that's easy to clean, then I don't know what the brand is. A small table box fan I have doesn't allow the blades to be removed to clean. When it is unplugged, I use a small brush through the grate to move the bristles into the sections to get the dust and grime out.

For fans with grates and blades that can be removed, I take the grate and blades off for a wash in the sink or tub with a small vegetable brush or old tooth brush. I towel dry, and then air dry them before putting the fan back together. Water drops will get caught in tiny spaces. The larger area may be dry but the tiny bits may not be dry. The extra air dry is very important for safety reasons.

People with allergies can tell when there's a dirty fan about. If you begin to have breathing problems, then check any fans you might be using to see if the blades and grate are dirty.

Tower fans are nice, quiet and the breeze is gentle. Cleaning the one I bought is an absolute nightmare. For that reason, unless there are easy cleaning instructions that come with the tower fan, I won't buy one again.