08 January 2011

Oatmeal Chili


Ingredients:
1 - 28 oz. can salt free* peeled or crushed tomatoes; add half water from rinsed can to chili
1 - large or 2 medium onions sauteed in 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 - tablespoon of Chili
1- tablespoon of Cumin
1 - teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 - cup regular oatmeal (not instant)**
Optionals:
Kidney beans
Meat
Sauteed green pepper (if added, then dice, and no more than 1 cup
because green pepper can overwhelm a recipe)
Or add in the beginning for crunchy green peppers

Cook in a 2 Quart Saucepan (in photo):
Saute onion; add crushed tomatoes; add spices. Simmer on low for a half hour.
Add water if needed. Chili should be a little soupy at this point because oatmeal needs
that moisture. Add oatmeal, and cook for another half hour. Stir frequently to prevent oatmeal from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Season to taste after the oatmeal has cooked.

Serving suggestions:
Put on nachos or dip with nachos
Top with shredded cheese and/or raw diced onion
Pour into a soup bowl lined with buttered garlic bread sprinkled with basil


* I use salt free tomatoes to reduce sodium in my diet, and because nachos are all ready very salty.
**Use regular oatmeal because instant oatmeal can be pasty adding a gooey texture.
Adjust the recipe to your tastes.
I prefer the oatmeal chili as is without beans and meat. I suppose it could be made snazzier with chunks of boneless chicken for meat eaters or raw shredded carrots for the vegans. I'm on my second bowl. I love the texture. However, not thinking, I added more chili powder before I tasted it. The flavor has a warmer kick but not too hot.
Enjoy!
Clean up...
I adjusted the recipe to 1/2 cup of regular oatmeal because as the oatmeal cooks, it becomes thicker. One cup is too much for this small recipe. I estimate with one cup servings, there's enough for at least five or six people. Next time, I'm going to cook the oatmeal first to see how that works for the texture. Otherwise, the flavor and texture is better than I expected.
~On Monday I finished the last of the recipe by wrapping it up in multi-grain wraps. Its more versatile and fun thick than it is thin.