07 June 2012

Reading Art

The bearded iris is one of my favorite flowers. I wanted all white irises and gladiolas for my last wedding. Alas, in ancient times dreams and reality were budget nightmares.

This iris (photo left) is actually a darkest pure purple. I look forward every year seeing it bloom with a neighboring orange iris. Roses are regal gorgeous. But, irises have a story dreamscape you can almost read as opposed to only look at and admire.

Admire and read Art like you do flowers. Consider arranging a schedule of art books according to movement, style or subject,and spread them throughout the seasons.

I take old art magazines when I find that at the local library sale, and cut out all articles and gallery advertisements. I make a list of the artists with their pertinent dates, and a separate list of art galleries. I make a note of galleries and artists I will research more. Presently, 19th and 20th Century American artists are the areas I want to learn about. I have one folder for the magazine cut outs. I will create folders for each artist or area of art. For example, folders for Marine art, California Artists, Salmagundi Club, Midwest Artists. 




Flower up your art reading experiences by making your own garden of art resources.

Add to your collection a scrapbook for pictures of art with your notes on the side.