12 August 2010

An Important Test - Colonoscopy

I am not a medical professional. My advice is based on my experience as a patient.

-There are age recommendations for having a colonoscopy. If you have bowel issues, then I think its a good idea to consult your doctor and then make your own decision.

It is a small test that can save your life.
You pay a Very important part in the process by making sure you prep carefully and correctly.
Read the instructions when they first arrive. Call if you have questions.
Then read the instructions again. Write down questions.
Then read the instructions again.

- Preparation is involved. I scaled down the amount of food and the type of foods about two weeks before my schedule colonoscopy. Check out online sources for foods that add the biggest bulk and/or pass through the digestive system slowly. I stayed away from spicy foods because they can cause discomfort in the end. The scaling down the portion size/amount and types of foods I ate helped ease hunger during the 24 hour fast.
Ask your doctor what the 24 hours means.
I thought it means 24 hours. Not. I planned my last meal that morning before because my appointment was an 11:30 AM arrival, 12:30 colonoscopy the next day. I called with a question, and was told I should stop eating when I get up the morning before. In other words, I should not have had that small breakfast.
The first colonoscopy I had years ago...the fasting was horrible. Changing my eating habits helped a great deal. I did feel at times nauseous, but it wasn't a bother.

- Keep the doctor's instruction sheets out in the open where you can see them. If there isn't a list of things to do, then make one of your own. Check it off, and check it for checking off what you have to do. Make sure you have your insurance card, medication list, and any other information the doctor may need or the hospital may require.

- Trilyte is the cleaning out process I was prescribed. I don't recommend the pineapple flavor packet. Measure your glass before you start. Don't guess what 8 ounces is. I did. Big Mistake.
I was drinking over 12 ounces fast the first couple of glasses. Nausea overwhelmed me to the point I had to cut back on the amount. A light bulb came on telling me to Measure. Once I began the 8 ounces the nausea subsided enough to not be a constant problem. The drinking every 10 minutes or so is not thrilling. Its a chore. Being in the bathroom for over an hour, and longer isn't as bad as it feels once its over. I recommend standing up when possible for the drinking phase because it goes down easier and there's less gas to belch. It took a half hour to produce results, and 45 minutes to produce the watery results. It can take much longer depending on when you last ate, what you ate, and your own system.

- Cleaning out process...I began at 6 PM the night before, and it didn't completely end until just before I left for my appointment around 11 AM. The night before it took with not precise measuring, 11 glass of Trilyte to finish 3 liters. I went to sleep around midnight.
The next morning 4 hours before the 11:30 arrival time, I drank the last liter, the 8 ounces every 10 minutes. At times output was clear, and others not. Eventually the watery stool became clear with just the hue of yellow-green bile fluid.

- During the process...How long am I going to be in here! Those are words that may ring in your brain after the first hour being in the bathroom constantly. After a while, being in there will be a source of relief and comfort. I returned often, and was glad of it.

- Clear means no food bits. Bile fluid will color the watery output a yellow greenish hue. In the morning there may be some bile grainy stuff that should clear out. Otherwise, clear means clear water stool output (light yellow bile color).

- I thought the fasting for 24 hours would show a decrease in weight. Not. I gained about 4 pounds. I forgot to ask the doctor why. Sodium in the Trilyte or just metabolism? I'm not sure.
I'm on my regular diet of fresh veggies, fruit, eggs, cereal, yogurt, and some times a meat dish. I expect I'll soon drop off those extra few pounds.

- Have a nice snack ready for recovery on the way home, crackers, yogurt, something light. I chose to have one bite of a banana, and a couple of small spoons of peach yogurt. I couldn't eat much more than that until after a nap. I took it slow and easy, no big meal. The next day a bit of end residue, and back to things flowing as usual.

-The hospital may give you a paper before you leave with after care instructions. Ask about those things you don't understand. A more detailed report will be sent to our primary care doctor.

- Weird part...I was dreaming seconds before I woke up that I was begging them to stop. For sure there was no procedure being done in the recovery room. I felt no pain or discomfort before or during the colonoscopy. The IV going in wasn't comfy but not a screaming pain.
I felt for the first few  minutes miserable and disorientated. The air pumped inside had to be expelled, let out. That was uncomfortable. The nurses were fantastic helping me to get that accomplished well enough that I felt comfortable going home. I went into the bathroom to get out of having to move, walk it out so to speak. That produced the desire results.

- There is a blog on Blogger about Colonscopy that has a lot of comments I found to be very helpful. I recommend reading it.

www.colonoscopyblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/on-conscious-sedation.html